From 1897 to 1956 the M&SC; Ry. served the Montreal south shore. This 47-mile line linked Granby in the east to the McGill Street Terminal in the city of Montreal. Tony Clegg (Author), John Freyseng, and John Mills narrate. Art Ellis, John Mills, Ray Muller, Fred Angus, and John Freyseng’s movies provide a visual record of Quebec’s premiere electric railway.
The Montreal and Southern Counties Railway Company (M&SCRC;) was an interurban streetcar line that ran between Montreal and Granby until 1956. A second branch served the city of Longueuil.
The Montreal terminal was situated at the southwest corner of McGill Street and Rue Marguerite-d’Youville. The building that served as the station is still standing today.
The M&SCRC; was managed under two divisions. The interurban division managed the traffic on the main line between Montreal and Granby, whereas the suburban division managed the branch between Saint-Lambert and Montreal South (Longueuil).
Service declined starting in 1951, when CN replaced the electric tramways with diesel trains between Marieville and Granby. In 1955, CN decided to remove the streetcar rails on the Victoria Bridge the following year. The streetcar made its final voyage on October 13, 1956.
This video was revised in 2011, with new artwork and restored film.
Produced and Edited by Ray Neilson. Colour (60 min) © 1996 GPS Video